Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Thanksgiving Wishes

Thanksgiving is tomorrow.

Here, anyway. With the time difference, I think it's something like 2 days away. It gets confusing sometimes.

But anyway, Thanksgiving is tomorrow, and is not celebrated in Australia. And is also my favorite holiday.

So... I'll be celebrating with my husband, once he gets home from work. We considered inviting his family, and I think they almost expected us to celebrate it with them, but I don't think I could really handle it this year. Not that I don't want to share all the food and good feelings, it's more that, already, I can tell I'm going to be emotionally drained by the end of the day even without the extra people and all the questions about "what IS Thanksgiving?"

I cried over the pie I made this evening.

Thanksgiving with my family was, in a word, awesome. Most of my life, we've celebrated with my mom's side of the family, where there are 13 of us cousins, 3 aunts and uncles, and my grandma. Occasional guests. I've spent one Thanksgiving away since we started together, that I can remember, and I was mostly miserable for it.

We never did anything fancy (except for maybe the year I brought coloring books, crayons, and bubble wrap, and the next year a giant pack of crayons). Very very informal. Most of us kids end up eating on the ground, or sofas, or everyone just spread out, with plastic plates and glasses, and a kind of buffet style dinner set up in the kitchen, going in and grabbing what we like when we like. Lots and lots of noise.

But it was cozy. And warm. And loving. And FUN. And all it was was all of us together.

So this year, with just Phillip, even with the food we've planned, Australian Thanksgiving will be.... interesting. I think now, more than any other time these past three months, I would give almost ANYTHING to be at home. Even if it IS warmer and sunnier here.

1 comment:

  1. It is hard when traditions change. Now you will make new traditions. I am so jealous that you make your own pie crust. I've never been bold enough to try that. We will be thinking of you this Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete