Thursday, January 12, 2012

The Hopping Pot

Last night, I made Roo Tail Soup.

Yet again, cooking Australians icon and eating it.

It was pretty good. I tried looking up recipes online, but my pantry, while well stocked, still lacks some things like: bay leaves, red or white wine vinegar. Things I can get by without so we can just purchase chocolate instead. Anyway, with that slight sidetrack, actual recipes contained things I didn't have, or involved doing things like marinating the tail for days. I... was not willing to wait. It's been some chilly days and we were in the mood for soup. So I loosely followed a recipe and just ended up throwing things in the pot that sounded good anyway.

Ingredients:
One small roo tail, from this roo (lightly floured and fried up quickly in oil)
3 potatoes
1.5 carrots (half happened to be in the fridge and needed to be used)
1.5 onions (same as above)
Some garlic cloves
Fresh sage from the front garden
Oregano
Salt
Pepper
Enough water to JUST cover everything
A tiny bit of homemade hot sauce that's basically Worcestershire sauce we got from Phillip's uncle
And then I threw in some red wine for good measure

I have issues with measuring when I make some things. It then simmered on the stove for about 5 hours.

Just barely thawed and out of the plastic baggy
I know, it doesn't look that appetizing, this giant stick of tail sticking out of a bowl in some not-so-colorful veggies

It tasted quite good. I have a feeling that the tail is one of the fattiest parts on the roo, because anything else I've cooked or eaten has VERY little fat on it. This was deliciously fatty, though. All the yummy marrow and natural fats from the meat came out in the slow slow cooking, and this needed nothing at all but bread to dip into the liquid and sop up all the goodness. And we just stripped the meat off the tail (well, more sucked it off) with our teeth, wishing there was more of it.

I looked up, like I said, recipes online before I did this, and some included beef stock, and then there was some guy, who, while a little overboard I think, made some sense saying that pollutes the flavor of the roo. He was, however, using actual kangaroo, that looks fairly fresh, while we use wallaby that has been properly dried and the frozen for a number of months. I didn't add the beef stock, though, and the soup was wonderful without it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment